Easy Queso Without Velveeta
Some days just call for queso. Really, there are few days that would not be improved by dipping crunchy things in cheese.
Most recipes for queso dip fall into two categories: really complicated or made with Velveeta. I wasn't in the mood for complicated today, and Velveeta, for all its many virtues, is not something we keep on hand.
So I adapted this recipe from Thrillist, and by "adapted" I mean I didn't measure anything and made wanton substitutions and just left out steps that seemed like too much work.
- Melt a Tbsp. or so of butter over medium heat, then whisk in a Tbsp. or so of cornstarch and cook for about a minute.
- Whisk in milk until the lumps disappear. Maybe 1/2 a cup.
- Lower heat and add in a Tbsp. or so of cream cheese.
- Add shredded cheddar bit by bit. Maybe 1/3 cup? Just throw cheese in gradually and stir until it looks all... queso-y.
- Dump in all the salsa left at the bottom of the tub you've been snacking on and stir.